Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Supplements


I saw my rheumatologist the other day, and he is a big supporter of getting off prescription meds and trying to control fibro with health supplements. The two he has recommended to me so far have been CoQ10 and Mila.


I have tried the Coq10 for about a month, but it was expensive, like $15 a bottle, which lasted you about a month. And this new supplement that he just recommended to me, he warned me before hand that is quite expensive and has to be ordered offline, through him.


It costs $55 for a 16 oz bottle of this stuff. It is supposed to be able to help with a lot of different things, health wise, and provides a lot of important things needed by the body, like Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants and fiber, as well as calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, protein, selenium, and phosphorus. It’s a seed and he recommended taking half a spoonful a day. It can be mixed with food and even cooked with, but that still seems like an extreme price to pay for this, especially when my prescription drugs actually seem to help and cost me anywhere from $7-35 (the highest being my anti-depressant).


Though I have given the Coq10 a try before, I am thinking I might try it again, for more than just one month, and try it for a few months at least to really give it a chance.


The Mila I’m still undecided about, and will have to talk to my mom about it and see what she thinks and if it’s worth it. I will keep you guys updated on the progress of both these things though.

3 comments:

  1. What other drugs have you tried for the pain? I noticed you said they have helped; I was just curious which ones have helped you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would research this mila first. I'm not suggesting anything bad about your doctor, of course, but supplements are not as regulated by the FDA. Nor are many as well-researched as the companies that make them like you to believe. That price sounds a bit much for a chia seed. And I'd be wary that you *have* to buy it through him, since that's not the case (it is commercially available). Sounds like he's an independent distributor and does it to make money on the side. If you go http://trymilatoday.lifemax.net/ there's info on how to become a seller of mila.

    If you're really interested in supplements, ask your doc about chlorella--if he's knowledgeable about supplements/herbs for fibro, he'll have heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mila is a Chai seed and is classified as a food not a supplement. (Flax seed is NOT classified as a food). We have found great benefits from it from as small as regulating our digestive system to regulating my child's anxiety. Its very high in Omega-3s and fiber.

    ReplyDelete