Saturday, March 27, 2010

Treatments


Today I thought I’d talk about some of the treatments I’ve tried. I’ve only been seeing a competent rheumatologist, who is usually the best sort of doctor to go to for fibro, for about a year now, so I certainly haven’t tried much, even though I’ve been diagnosed for 2 years now.


I have tried all the prescription drugs on the market currently for fibro: Lyrica, Savella, and Cymbalta. Lyrica and Savella are specifically for fibro, though in Europe Savella is used as an anti-depressant, it just hasn’t passed the FDA regulations here in America to be used to treat depression. Cymbalta on the other hand IS an anti-depressant that has been said to treat aches and pains so has been recommended as a treatment for fibro.


I suffer from clinical depression, which is pretty severe for me, as well as IBS and migraines, so I’ve been on a LOT of medication for someone so young, so I’ll probably mention some of those meds as well, since fibro usually doesn’t come alone and usually DOES include a lot of other medical issues to occur as well.


First off, Lyrica and Savella did absolutely nothing for me, and are quite expensive as well, even on insurance, as they aren’t listed as anti-depressants or such, which you usually get a break from. I personally have never met or talked to anyone that those two drugs have worked for in managing their fibro.


Cymbalta was the first anti-depressant I ever took, and I was prescribed it before I was even diagnosed with fibro. It worked wonders on my depression, but didn’t really do anything for the pain or fatigue, at least not that I noticed.


But there is a side-effect of fibro that not many people realize or know about, and it’s that fibro sufferers tend to acclimate to medication very fast, meaning that we constantly need to go up on doses to have them work or switch to other meds quite often. Don’t be alarmed if this seems to happen to you. You’re not alone.


That’s what happened to me with Cymbalta, and while on Cymbalta, I couldn’t take Savella at the same time because they are in the same class of medication, so I had to switch my anti-depressant to Lexapro, which I am still currently on. I was maxed out on the highest dose of Cymbalta, and it seemed to not be as effective as it used to be.


Because I’ve only seen my rheumatologist for about a year, and taking each medication and I had to give it a few months to see if it worked, these are the only treatments I’ve really tried so far, though they are not the last, that’s for sure.


Some doctors recommend exercise for treating fibro, but when you feel like crap all the time, you definitely don’t want to exercise, especially because it’s very easy to push yourself too far without meaning to and then you end up paying for it later in increased pain and fatigue.


But for the past few days, I’ve been doing a little bit of exercise, alternating between days of doing aerobic/low body exercises and doing upper body exercises, though I walk my dogs for 10-20 minutes every day. And I’ve noticed that my pain isn’t nearly as bad at it was before. I did really hurt myself the first day I did it and pushed myself too hard and was really hurting the next day, but I found that exercising a bit that day helped to ease the pain and stretch the muscles and ease the tension.


Though I suspected I was in a fibro-flare before hurting myself like that, which is when your pain and fatigue get worse than normal for a period of time that you have no idea how long it’ll last, and I could have just come out of it and that’s why the exercise isn’t hurting me as much because I’m taking it easy. I just have to keep it up to see if it really is helping me or is just a fluke of time concerning my flare-up.


Another treatment option my rheumatologist is changing my diet, getting rid of all things white, like white bread and white sugar and white rice and white pastas. He wanted me to use stevia instead of sugar and to avoid processed foods. Except with both my mother and I are in so much pain and so tired that we can’t be bothered to try fixing dinner, so we eat out a LOT. When you feel like you’ve been run over by a truck or beat up severely, you just don’t have the energy to cook. And eating out is definitely processed and definitely use white foods, and I need caffeine in order to even stay awake for the entire day, so I’m reluctant to try the dietary changes quite yet, though I wouldn’t mind doing so eventually.


I will definitely update this as more treatment options are presented to me and I will definitely let you know how I fare with each one and whether they provide any relief. But just remember, just because something didn’t work for ME does NOT mean it might not work for YOU, so be sure to give any and all forms of treatment that don’t seem too crack-pot a chance.

4 comments:

  1. Well that's depressing to hear that Lyrica has never helped anyone with fibro. Are you saying that people have to increase their Fibro meds because they have a hard time acclimating? Or do you have a hard time acclimating on any kind of drug regardless if it's for Fibro? The dietary changes would be hard for me, too. I think it would be more tiring to go out to eat than fix a meal. I'm not talking about fixing some elaborate homemade meal; we usually have Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choices, or Smart Ones. Those dinners are preyty healthy and nutrishious (i cant, for the life of me figure out how to spell that word!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I heard that lyrica hurt more people (in terms of side effects) than it helped, which is why I haven't been dying to try it, because I don't want to pay that much money for something that doesn't have great track record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a tough thing to live with.

    That's terrible that your body adapts to the treatments so quickly. And while it sounds like the exercise really does help, it must be so hard to push yourself to do it, knowing that it will probably hurt at first. It seems so unintuitive that exercise would help but it definitely makes sense.

    Hang in there..

    Dana (w.e. from OD)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To That Girl: Usually it means we have to keep upping our dosages because we get used to the meds we take so fast that while at first they work, they stop working over time, so that's why we have to up them. :-p

    ReplyDelete